Having several cans of clams from that shopping trip where I was duped by the Trojan Bear, I dreamed up another way to use them besides clam chowder. How could I resist Made in USA wild caught clams at $1 a 6.5 oz can (compare with $2.85 for same at Safeway). I'm not in a position where I'm forced to bargain hunt, but the steep rise in prices at the grocery store is like throwing the gauntlet down for a personal challenge to see if I can do better. So my version of clam stuffing is born.
1 6.5 oz can chopped clams
1 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts
1 6 oz. box Stovetop Italian Style Roasted Garlic stuffing mix
1 Tbs. olive oil
Drain clam liquid into 2 cup measuring cup, add water to come to box direction - 1 1/2 cups. Drain water chestnuts and rinse. Put clam/water liquid and olive oil into pot and add drained water chestnuts. Bring to a boil, turn off heat. Add clam meat, stir, add stuffing mix, stir and cover. Leave for 5 minutes. Put into serving dish and add mint sprig for garnish, if desired.
$1.00 clams (Long's special)
$0.68 Roland's water chestnuts (Amazon special)
$1.16 Stove Top Italian Style Roasted Garlic Stuffing Mix (Amazon special)
$0.18 olive oil (Amazon special - organic)
$0 mint spring (from container, volunteers after last year's harvest)
Sunday's Marin IJ reported on the extreme difficulties facing the less fortunate in Marin - "Desperate Times for Marin's Needy" with a list of local organizations who need help helping the needy:
- St. Vincent de Paul Society, P.O. Box 150527, San Rafael 94915
- Marin Community Food Bank, 75 Digital Drive, Novato 94949
- Ritter Center, 16 Ritter St., San Rafael 94901
- Community Action Marin, 29 Mary St., San Rafael, 94901
- Novato Human Needs Center, 1907 Novato Blvd., Novato 94947
- Adopt A Family of Marin, 1930 Fourth St., San Rafael 94901
- Salvation Army, 351 Mission Ave., San Rafael 94901
share some of your cash saved, or bargains bought with them if you have a chance.