Friday, May 11, 2007

Taqueria Bahia

Language barrier. Scanning the menu at Taqueria Bahia in San Rafael, I noted the two most expensive dishes were $10.50, one was a pork favorite, and another a name I didn't recognize. I asked the woman at the counter where you order, what is "Milaneza"? She said something garbled that sounded like "Chicken 'n Steak". I asked her again and she repeated "Chicken 'n Steak". Ah, I thought, something that has a bit of both, no matter the sauce it will be something new to try, so I ordered it!

Chips and Iced Tea

I was given my iced tea, and pointed to the warmer table where it was dish up your own tortilla chips and whichever of the several salsas you'd like. I sat at a comfortable wooden booth with a tile table.

Milaneza

Then out came my Milaneza... awk! Chicken-fried Steak! oh no. I had NO idea that this was in the Mexican repertoire of cooking! And maybe not really... it was awful! Greasy and over-browned and grisly to boot. The toughest old piece of shoe leather this side of Colorado. Now I did see some attractive looking more 'normal' Mexican dishes going by my table. The refried beans were quite good, and the rice fresh and well flavored. I will try this again sometime with a more usual order. I also noticed that they serve breakfast all day, but they don't open until 10 a.m. which puts them firmly in the 'brunch only' category on my list.

2 comments:

my hyggelig said...

Oh no! My husband favored this Marin joint over some of the Mission stops we used to make. I always asked for veggie - it's amazing the magic folks can work with a tortilla, rice, beans, and cheese. This was never my favorite spot - but I do urge you to try it again. I wouldn't eat chicken fried steak at a restaurant in my new hometown, let alone in San Rafael - what an odd menu option for this place. Ah, the adventures in eating we all have eh? I got a good chuckle at your description.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you've tried Mi Pueblo in Novato, also second location in Petaluma, but if you haven't I think you should check it out. Pretty good.