Thursday, October 23, 2008

Distinctive Asian Theme Woven in

Wild Fox Close up

I was up in nearby Novato and took the opportunity to visit the Wild Fox after a long absence. I remembered last enjoying some of the best ribs I'd ever tasted. If you are a meat-eater, and these are on the menu when you visit, don't hesitate a second!

Wild Fox

The Wild Fox is located conveniently along Hwy 101 on Alameda del Prado, next to the Best Western and up on a hill, easily visible from the highway. Unfortunately, the front hostess was rather indifferent, not even looking up from the desk for several minutes. When she learned that I would be dining alone, she took me to the smallest table in the dining room, located in a corner next to the bar entrance. I have dined alone a lot, and in my previous experience, it is rare that restaurants do this especially when there are at least 15 empty tables in more pleasant surroundings in clear view. This sealed a bad impression of the front house.

St. Clements

My waiter however, was a breath of fresh air. He was prompt, helpful and polite. He steered me to a 'daily lemonade' rather than the usual iced tea. The lemonade of the day was called the St. Clements, and made with lemon juice, orange juice and a splash of sparkling water. It was a great choice!

Seared Ahi Tuna Filet over Wasabi Potatoes

The menu had the usual American favorites, but a significant portion, including an "East Meets West" labeled section, had a definite Asian or even Fusion theme. I chose the Ahi Tuna Filet with Wasabi Mashed Potatoes and Crunchy Vegetable Salad with Sesame Soy Glaze.

Close up of Ahi Tuna Filet

Wow. The waiter asked my preference for doneness and the kitchen nailed it perfectly. It was even cut in easier to eat pieces. This dish is a real winner with the lightly wasabi'd potatoes and crunchy vegetables in a well balanced sauce. The Wild Fox also serves Sunday brunch.

3 comments:

Anakin said...

You have a really interesting blog :)

Zoomie said...

We've eaten there frequently as we have friends who live nearby and it has always been good. Too bad about the front end, though - maybe they'll read this and improve that aspect!

Anna Haight said...

Thanks Anakin.

Zoomie, I ate here more frequently some time ago, and the food was always good. I hope they will improve their service too.