Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Found a Sonoma favorite in Marin

Mary's Pizza Shack

I noticed that there was a listing for Mary's Pizza Shack in Novato a few months ago, and put it on my list to visit sooner than later as I'd had great experiences in the Sonoma locations over the years. So being that I was as far as San Rafael yesterday afternoon for an annual physical (looking good so far!), I decided to make Mary's a destination. I drove deep into Novato to a place I've never been, an adventure in itself, and found Mary's near Harvest Market.

Add-on Salad

I chose to add $2.50 to the tab to include an add-on salad. I have to admit, the menu just read 'house salad' so I was a little surprised by the salami slice. However, it is just one thin slice easily set aside if it's not to your taste. Later reading the website menu, it looks like the house salad is a smaller version of Mary's salad with crisp greens and a nice variety of toppings. It was a lovely salad, and I enjoyed it.

Jumbo Seafood and Lobster Ravioli

I tried one of their dinner specials, a Jumbo Seafood and Lobster Ravioli dish that had both sauteed mushrooms and a heavy cream sauce atop the ravioli which were sitting on a base of tomato basil sauce, and the whole thing was sprinkled with fresh basil and tomatoes. I have to say that it was a bit 'hot' with garlic. Other than experiencing a bit of a garlic reaction, it was quite good. The pillows of seafood and lobster tasted quite fresh. In fact this dish was a clever 'two pastas in one' kind of dish with the two sauces included. The service was prompt and friendly and it seemed to be a good family kind of place, just as the others I've visited have been. Recommendable for a casual and kid-friendly (and reasonable) night out with the family.

Restaurant Inspection Results
Critical: 0
Noncritical: 0
Last inspected: 12/10/2008


Find address/phone number/directions on Anna's Map.

No comments: