Saturday, March 22, 2008

In search of Greek food

Fair Fix Cafe

A friend of mine had a taste for Greek food and all I could think of in Marin County was Fair Fix in Fairfax. So we went to find that it was not Greek, but Mediterranean. Close enough for me, but not for my friend, so I made a mental note to come back and try it. Fair Fix has been a fixture (pun intended) for a long time in the community, and locals feel comfortable hanging out here with an eclectic mix of suits, barefeet in sandals and dreadlocks.

Vegetarian Couscous

Noticing a Couscous plate on the menu brought me back to student days in Paris, enjoying couscous on the Left Bank. Unfortunately the comparison left this plate wanting. The couscous of my memory had flavorful stewed vegetables while these, although fresh and good quality, were rather watery and bland. The couscous rather than being a soft and fragrant foil for the vegetables was rather crunchy and tasted dry. I really loved the fresh carrot-orange-ginger juice though! It has other interesting Mediterranean dishes I'd like to come back and try. I understand Aroma Cafe in San Rafael is a sister cafe. The cafe is cash only, and they offer free Wi-Fi (it also occurs more as a coffee house than a cafe).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I was juts browsing, then, coincidentally find your entry... I was blogging about a Greek doctor who loves to cook mousaka and souvlaki

Elle said...

Sorry the food wasn't what you expected, but hope you had fun with the friend. Still working on figuring out some dates for April...will e-mail soon.
Happy Easter to you and your Dad...from Sweetie, too.

Zoomie said...

If you find a good couscous place, I'll be happy to read about it - we enjoyed ours in Paris, also on the Left Bank, as you did!

Anna Haight said...

Cybermistress: This kinds of stumblings are often fun!

Elle: Oh I always have fun! Looking forward to coordinating for a date in April. Michael & I were just speaking of Sweetie, so we'll probably be in touch soon. Give him my best too.

Zoomie: I'm now in search of good couscous having revived old memories. I'll certainly share when I find it.

Term Papers said...

I really loved the fresh carrot-orange-ginger juice though! It has other interesting Mediterranean dishes I'd like to come back and try.