Friday, October 24, 2008

Fresh, delicious and a bargain!

Falafel Hut

I actually dined here some time ago, and the photo of the outside was SO blurry I waited until I had an opportunity to shoot a better one. The Falafel Hut is small and casual, but serves a surprising variety of Middle Eastern foods at a reasonable price.

Table

I got the Vegetarian House Combo Plate. It comes with fresh hot pita bread and I ordered some housemade mint iced tea as well. There are seasonings on the table and each inside table had interesting bronze pieces.

Vegetarian Plate

Looking more closely at the plate, it has falafels, hummus, baba gannoush, tabouleh, cucumber salad, and dolmas. It was all very fresh and bursting with flavor. This is a great find. And one day, if I can get over the giggles, I'll have to try whatever "Foul Mudams" is.

4 comments:

cookiecrumb said...

I second that emotion.
The place is really good.

Greg said...

I love that place!

Anna Haight said...

The foodies agree!

Nancy Ewart said...

Ful medames is a popular breakfast dish in Egypt. It is served usually with a fried egg and pita bread. The pita bread is sometimes used as a scoop for the fava beans. Ful medames dates back to ancient Egypt. Cynthia Rodden has a great reciepe in her book on Middle Eastern food but I found this on the Internet. When I make it, I add more lemon juice because I prefer a tart taste and also, a tablespoon or two of crushed red pepper.
Ingredients:

* 1 1/2 lbs of dried fava beans or broad beans
* 2 cloves crushed garlic
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1/2 teaspoon cumin

Preparation:
Soak beans overnight in water.

Drain, and cover with fresh water in large saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer on low for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until beans are tender.

Drain and place in medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Beans and remaining ingredients can be mashed together, or the beans can be left whole and gently mixed with remaining ingredients. It is more commonly served mashed together.

Serve hot with a fried egg and pita bread.