Saturday, May 16, 2009

Homey Japanese in my backyard

Samurai

When my friend Daniel came by the other evening, I thought I'd introduce him to a local Japanese restaurant with a very homey style, right in my back yard. Samurai in Mill Valley has been a place I keep returning to ever since I moved to Mill Valley in 1997.

Miso & Cucumber Salad

The miso soup had depth and the brilliant flavor of the dashi shone through. The always favorite crisp cucumber salad was served up too. The big missing for me was the flavored potato appetizer which was signature dish of theirs, and always was served as part of the first round of food with the miso and salad. I was told not many people liked it, and it could be ordered from the 'sides' menu now ($2.50).

Teriyaki Chicken

Daniel ruminated awhile over what the difference between 'grilled' and 'broiled' teriyaki chicken would be before settling on the grilled chicken teriyaki. He reported his chicken to be tasty, but vegetables were ice cold.

Seafood Teppan

I glanced over the combination dinner choice which were always a good value at $13.50, and found, in keeping with many other places, prices had risen in the last year to $15. If you add back the simmered potato appetizer that was there last year the price for the same meal would be $17.50, or a $4 increase in one year. I decided I was in the mood for a simple Seafood Teppan. My vegetables were very uneven in temperature, some exceptionally hot, and others cold like Daniel's. The seafood however was a stand out in its variety and deliciousness. There was a piece of salmon, two scallops, four oysters and a couple prawns. These were head seared on the pan and had a lovely brown caramelized exterior. I loved this dish and vowed to come back for it again. We also had a very polite and helpful young man as a waiter who managed our table and service superbly.

Restaurant Inspection Results
Critical: 0
Noncritical: 4
Last inspected: 3/3/2009

Previously reviewed:
April 29, 2008
December 13, 2006

Find address/phone number/directions on Anna's Map.

1 comment:

buttercupbugs said...

I've missed reading your blog the past few days. I hope you're ok and back to blogging about youre food finds soon.

Judy