Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Las Camelias. Ok so you notice the Mexican theme? Well, I guess I'm just gearing up for the next Supper Club event - Regions of Mexico. So I tried a more upscale Mexican Restaurant tonight. I've been there several times before, and the food and service was consistent with my past experience. Las Camelias website is here.

They have made a very fine effort toward making the interior warm with interesting artful accents in each room.

The waiter was patient with my lengthy read of the menu. Well, what can they expect when it's so different than the standard Americanized Mexican menu and is a delight just to read!

I finally settled on "Pechuga de Pollo Parrilla Al-Guaca-Mole Salsa". This was a moist, flavorful mole covered chicken breast (none less than a Rocky Jr.) sliced, and served with amazingly flavored black beans, with salsa fresca, guacamole and fresh corn tortillas.

The mole was beautifully complex, and I rolled it over my tongue trying to distinguish the flavors within. The chips, by the way, were gourmet quality as well. Thick and crispy and fresh tasting!

The only misstep of the evening was serving my splurge - flan - before clearing off my dinner plate. It was also to die for -- smooth, creamy and fresh, with perfect carmelization on the top.

I wonder what the waiter thought when I pulled out my digital camera and took a snap before digging in... I like to be incognito, but also want to record something of the actual dinner to share here.

I'm going to be making some effort to go to out-of-the way, smaller places which may be missed by the standard reviewers. Hopefully, this won't mean a slew of poor reviews, but I think there may be some hidden gems for more casual and inexpensive dining. Stay tuned.

No comments: