Thursday, April 05, 2007

Benissimo

Twenty Years and going strong. This is a real neighborhood Italian Restaurant. Tucked away on a street where cars pass quickly on the way to Larkspur, Benissimo is a real cool find.

Caesar Salad

The Caesar salad was pretty standard, but it used crisp romaine and was refreshing.

Flat Iron Beef with Pomagranate Sauce

I chose a Flat Iron Steak in Pomegranate sauce with mashed potatoes and spinach sauteed with garlic and red onions from the tempting specials. The steak was tender and seasoned to perfection, and the spinach was enlivened by the garlic and red onions.

Eggplant PIzza

Dad wanted to try the eggplant pizza, which he said was full of wonderful surprises. It had fresh basil, sauteed garlic, and fresh tomatoes as well as the grilled eggplant gracing a thin crust. With food and service like this, their success is assured for the next twenty years.

7 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Anna, If I ever get to visit there you must take me to one of these wonderful restaurants you're always writing about!

Anna Haight said...

I would sure love to meet you and of course the problem would be which great place to introduce you to!

Douglas Cress said...

Hi Anna,

The steak looks great. Did the pomegranate sauce contribute a lot of flavor? Was it sweet? I'm considering trying that as part of a marinade.

As per the casear salad, many chef's say it's an excellent barometer with which to judge the overall quality of a restaurant.

Anna Haight said...

Hi Doug,
The pomegranate sauce gave it depth without being cloyingly sweet. I agree about the caesar. It's unbelieveable what some restaurants serve as an excuse for it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna,
just stumbled on to the page of your reviews! I enjoy the fotos of recepies, and your experience of taste and in general. But I am missing one thing, the actual street address of the restaurant, although I could go and search the yellow pages, or individual websites of the restaurants?

Anna Haight said...

Thanks for your interest -- the street addresses and phone numbers are on the map -- see Anna's maps on the side bar. The each restaurant on the map has a link to the most recent review. So you can stroll down any street in Marin and see what I've reviewed.

Anonymous said...

LOVE this restaurant. I live for Italian food, and this is by far the best I've had in the U.S.
The waiters and owners are so much fun, right out of a comedy!
The food is, needless to say, amazing. The pricess are also less than I ever expected a trendy little place like B's to be!
I also really love the bar, they remodeled it a few years ago, and it feels like an SF club bar, small, but worth the great drinks and company!