Saturday, June 27, 2009

Good time to try this Ross hidden gem

Trattoria Fresco

The other evening I was near Ross and thought I'd try the Italian restaurant there that has been on my list for some time. Fresco Trattoria, or Marco's Trattoria as the red and white sign above the awning reads, is not new, but the food and service is as thoughtfully done as a newly opened restaurant that wants to succeed produces. After you've placed your order a basket with fresh bread is delivered, along with some wonderfully cured olives in a dish with olive oil.

Arugula salad with walnets and gargonzola

The owner, Marco was the only one working there the evening I enjoyed dinner. I was quite amazed at how he was so friendly to all, and deftly waited, bussed and cooked sublime food without missing a beat. It may have proven too much for a full restaurant, but that evening had diners arriving in a well-paced way for this. I started with a lovely, heaping fresh Arugula salad with apple, walnuts and Gorgonzola cheese. It was ah-so-lightly and perfectly dressed and the argula was tender and not overly peppery.

Casareccia

Marco served me some of the most perfectly cooked pasta I've had in a very long time, the Casareccia. It was a spiral pasta in a caramelized onion and simple tomato sauce. He knew the EXACT moment to take the pasta out to have it with the perfect 'bite'.

Bongo Bongo

With such perfection as a prelude, how could I not try one of his desserts? I opted for the whimsically named "Bongo Bongo", which were pastry puffs filled with Chantilly cream and drenched in a seductive chocolate sauce. My evening with Marco was perfection, and I've been sorry I left this place untried for so long! It is located right across from Ross Commons, and the summer season is the slow season, which seems like a great opportunity to enjoy it.

Restaurant Inspection Results
Critical: 0
Noncritical: 5
Last inspected: 4/17/2008

Find address/phone number/directions on Anna's Map.

No comments: