Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Scenic brunch

Piatti

Sunday morning was misty. Dad and I decided to make it special by trying out Piatti's brunch. Piatti's is just around the corner from us in Mill Valley. We arrived a few minutes after their opening at 10:00, and were told that we were their first guests of the day. Naturally we had a choice spot by the window!

Bread Basket

As quick as a wink our mochas and bread basket came to the table. The bread basket contained a variety of morning breads, sweet and croissant. These were each cut in two for easy sharing. We could have polished off the basket with our mocha and said that we had a great breakfast. But we ordered real breakfast dishes!

Scrambled Eggs with Applewood Smoked Bacon

Dad had two scrambled eggs with applewood smoked bacon. He said it was first class!

Eggs, Potatoes & Asparagus

The waitress admitted to a bout of brain-freeze when she served me something I did not order. What she slipped in front of me was the Uova Milanese, or two eggs fried with breadcrumbs, asparagus, Parmesan and roasted potatoes. She said that she would just give it to me, box it, as she'd have to just toss it otherwise. So I nibbled on the asparagus while my real dish was being prepared. I had the eggs at home for dinner - wow. I would have never guessed what adding a few breadcrumbs to the top of fried eggs would do. It was great, even reheated.

Poached Eggs over Polenta with Spinach and Wild Musrooms in Marinara Sauce

In short order the dish that I actually ordered arrived. Two poached eggs on Parmesan polenta with spinach and wild mushrooms and marinara sauce. The polenta was a soft cloud, and it really should have been served with a spoon as dripping would be unavoidable. And you wouldn't want to miss a drop! I found myself sopping up the juices with a croissant that was in the bread basket. The wild mushrooms were of the cremini variety. I loved this dish! If I were recommending a little getaway in Mill Valley, I'd recommend staying at the Aqua Hotel, then walking over for brunch at Piatti's.

Shelter Bay

And the view is lovely too, even on a gray and misty day. It just looks mysterious then.

Restaurant Inspection Results

Critical: 2
Noncritical: 2
Last inspected: 10/29/2008


Previously reviewed:
December 27, 2007
March 2, 2007

Find address/phone number/directions on Anna's Map.

No comments: