Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Road Runner Burrito

Snack in Greenbrae.
We had about an hour between appointments for my Dad at the row of offices behind Marin General hospital, so we stopped by Road Runner Burrito for a snack and more inviting place to wait than a doctor's office. This is a cute place, and there is a sign up that they serve breakfast burritos every morning.

Road Runner Interior

There is a cheerful roadrunner on the wall. The tables are well-worn, but the place is clean and the staff cheerful and helpful. They even asked what kind of beans we wanted on the chicken nachos we ordered. I chose the whole pinto beans for us, but I should have said extra beans, and no chicken (there was no vegetarian choice and I was not thinking).

Chicken Nachos

So Dad enjoyed the chicken on the burritos, which looked good and had little char marks showing it was actually grilled. This looks like a big glob in the photo, but it was quite a tasty big glob! And filling. My half filled me up even avoiding all the chicken such that I just had a homemade mango lassi for dinner later on.

I have to share a very amazing thing that happened last Friday. As those who follow my blog know, my 87 year old father Charles lives with me and has Alzheimer's and macular degeneration. He's been treated for about a year for the macular degeneration. He went for monthly eye exam last Friday. Last month, he could only read the very top line, and just barely. We were amazed when Dad, without skipping a beat, read down the lines to five lines down accurately! Unprecedented in his history with the eye treatment! The only thing that has changed in the last month is that he's been eating the Ayurvedic vegetarian diet with me! And not completely as he's not taking the herbs, and he eats meat items at lunch when he's at the Senior Center, and occasionally when we go out like to the Road Runner today. I would say 2 out of 3 meals he's been eating are vegetarian on average. I can't explain it any other way. It could be that his Alzheimer's improved so that he could remember the instructions longer, or some combination of that and literal eye improvement, but either way he surprised us all!

1 comment:

Zoomie said...

What a lovely surprise about your Dad's improvement with the eye chart! I'm happy for you - and him! I have wondered why your Dad was living with you - now I know. You're a good kid!