Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Historical Place

Rancho Nicasio

Although we didn't choose breakfasty food for brunch one Sunday at Rancho Nicasio, Dad and I did in fact visit and enjoy a leisurely Sunday brunch in historic Nicasio.

Interior

Rancho Nicasio was built in 1941 in the place of a hotel which burned down. The interior definitely had an old-time country feel to it although the music playing was vintage 70s.

Dungeness Crab Burger

I thought the Dungeness Crab Burger sounded interesting. I was so shocked at the appearance when it came, I thought the waiter had made a mistake and brought a hamburger! It was so dark! He said it was no mistake. A blackened crabcake? The dark part overpowered the taste of the mild dungeness crab. However it was mostly crab rather than filler so that was a plus. The fries were greasy and rather limp.

Cole slaw

A bit after my Dungeness Crab Burger arrived, the waiter brought over a plastic cup of cole slaw, making me wonder whether he was kind and giving me a bonus, or this was something that was supposed to come with the burger.

Grilled Ham & Cheese Sandwich

Dad ordered a simple grilled Ham & Swiss cheese sandwich which came with potato chips. He was pleased. Looking at the website menu, I see that this was supposed to come with cole slaw. Hmm... I wonder if the waiter gave me the cole slaw that was meant for Dad?

I wasn't terribly impressed with the speed of service, however the waiter was quite friendly. I asked him about the music scene there and he directed me to take a peek at the larger room with stage. I have friends who have waxed quite enthusiastic about the music events here, so I'm thinking the charm of this place lies in its being out of the normal hectic time and space of the more urban Marin, and the atmosphere of people coming together to enjoy music, rather than a strict draw of the food. The 'feel' of the room certainly added to that impression as I could almost feel the echos of good times here.

Restaurant Inspection Results
Critical: 1
Noncritical: 0
Last inspected: 9/22/2008

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good recipe!