Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Established Neighborhood Italian

Riccardo's

You'll notice I finally was able to activate my 'title' line, I'm happy! Dad and I felt like a neighborhood Italian place, so decided to try out Riccardo's in San Anselmo. It surely fit the bill with checkered tablecloths, wine bottles hanging from the ceiling and friendly, but busy staff.

Salad

Dad's Dinner Salad was unexpectedly large, but he said it was great with fresh greens and a variety of toppings.

Minestrone


The Minestrone I ordered tasted good, but had some unexpected cold spots in it.

Chicken Piccata

Dad lapped up every bit of his Chicken Piccata saying it was tender and seasoned well with a nice blend of flavors.

Swiss Chard

Swiss Chard came as a side vegetable with Dad's chicken, and he said it was flavored nicely with a hint of garlic and olive oil. Pasta would have been the other choice of side, but Dad decided to watch his carbs.

Shrimp, Asparagus and Porcini Paparadelli Special

I ordered from the specials menu which offered Paperadelle with Shrimp, Asparagus, Tomatoes and Porcini. Although this one was promising, the shrimp was overcooked into little hard balls, a lot of the asparagus was 'woody', and the paperadelle was clotted together with hard spots underneath. Not what I expected from a $17 dish. I thought I should speak up, so I mentioned the hard ball shrimp to three different staff members who said 'oh, sorry, I'll tell the chef", and that was the end of it. I'd like to try this place again because of the charming coziness, but I'm a little hesitant about the recommendability of its food at this point. I'm hoping it was just an off night.

No comments: