Tuesday, May 06, 2008

I saved $55

Canadian Wild Lobster Tail

and I only spent $145 to do it at Safeway. It was one of those Sundays, where you peruse the paper and find a coupon you think you will use ($0.75 off a dozen eggs) then you get out your scissors and examine the coupon books in earnest. Pretty soon you are heading off to the store with a handful of coupons. I did only buy a couple things not on sale (cucumber and the potato used in the Spanish omelet above). Even the Canadian wild lobster tails were on sale for $9.99 each. I even checked to be sure I wasn't devastating the Canadian lobster catch, nor eating contaminants by referring to the Canadian SeaChoice Alert Card. I have to admit that I was surprised when the cashier said 'you saved $55 today - you are a GOOD shopper!'

So Dad and I enjoyed a special Sunday dinner of broiled lobster tails (so sweet!) and a Spanish Omelet with roasted red pepper sauce. And since the omelet is so herbacious I'm going to enter this post in hosted by Laurie from Mediterranean Cooking in Alaska. The Spanish Omelet has potatoes, sweet mini peppers, olives and cherub tomatoes surrounded by egg. You fry the sliced potatoes to nearly done, then add the sliced mini peppers and olives and stir fry a bit, add the fresh cut cherub tomatoes and then add the egg, and cook with a lid on, or finish in the oven. The red pepper sauce is one of my favorite easy sauces. You just blend up a bottle of canned roasted red peppers in oil, and add some red pepper flakes if you want a kick. It not only works well over the Spanish Omelet, but pairs well with roasted meats, especially pork.

I'm going to highlight sweet peppers as they are not only inside, but the sauce is essentially made of a sweet type pepper too. Peppers are true powerhouses of nutrition. Besides a big dose of Vitamin C, these peppers are also full of thiamine, vitamin B6, beta carotene, and folic acid. Bell peppers also contain a large amount of phytochemicals that have exceptional antioxidant activity. And the red ones contain lycopene, which is good for the men in your life.

We also finished off the meal with the hibiscus scented chocolate brownies with raspberries with a scoop of Ben & Jerry's Dublin Mudslide ice cream. Pure yum.

2 comments:

A Scientist in the Kitchen said...

I enjoyed cutting discount coupons for grocery items when I lived in the US for a while. My favorite ones are discounts for gourmet coffee I wanted to bring home to the Philippines.

The omelet sounds delicious...

Kalyn Denny said...

It does sound like a delicious sauce for an omelet, yum. I always want to laugh when they tell me how much I've "saved!)