Saturday, June 30, 2007

Broccoli & Boconccini Salad

Broccoli & Boconccini Salad.
I made an enjoyable meal on the deck the other night, and I'm going to break out the posting from the meal to first highlight the salad, and submit it to . This event is being hosted this week by the event's founder, Kalyn at Kalyn's Kitchen. My herb of choice this week is broccoli.

Although a certain occupant in the White House is reputed to hate broccoli, this is a vegetable worth cultivating a taste for. (His dislike is documented at: LookSmart's FindArticles - W, like his dad, is no fan of broccoli). The World's Healthiest Foods has documented broccoli's virtues on a page that seems to scroll forever!

One tidbit that should have you serve this often to the men you love is a study that showed an incredible one-two punch against prostrate cancer when broccoli and tomatoes were teamed up in the diet! To quote: " The tomato/broccoli combination was shown to greatly outperform all other diets, shrinking prostate tumors by 52%.

Broccoli alone decreased tumor weight by 42%, and tomato alone by 34%.

Lycopene alone (23 or 224 nmol/g diet) came in last, reducing tumor weight by 7% and 18% respectively.

Only castration—a last resort option for most men, although it resulted in a 62% reduction in prostate tumor weight—approached the level of protection delivered by the tomato/broccoli diet."

This salad is no slouch for women's health either as both broccoli and boconccini are good sources of calcium.

Broccoli & Boconccini Salad

1 container fresh boconccini (small mozzarella balls), drained
1.5 cups of cherry or grape tomatoes, washed and whole
2 crowns of broccoli, broken into flowerettes and steamed to tender (to your taste)

Mix all the above in a salad bowl. Put an assortment of flavored and unflavored oils and vinegars on the table so guests can dress their portion to taste.

So simple! So summery!

I am also pleased to mention that I will be hosting Weekend Herb Blogging at Anna's Cool Finds the week of July 23-29!

3 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Just yummy, and what an interesting collection of facts about broccoli. I don't need any convincing. It's one of the many things I disagree with W about! (Sorry could not resist!)

I've never found those little mozarella balls here and I've been intrigued by them on other blogs; I think it was Haalo who used them in a recipe that made me go HMM, must try! I guess I will visit the Italian market to see if I can get some.

Simona Carini said...

Nice combination! All of the round ingredients are kind of addictive: I mean, you eat one piece, then another then another, and pretty soon the bowl is empty.

Helene said...

We love broccoli, thanks for this yummy sounding salad!! :)