Saturday, October 21, 2006


Comforting Breakfast. Paul and I tried Comforts for breakfast yesterday-- a place at the top of my list to try. I often hesitate to take the trip to San Anselmo because although a charming town, the parking can be difficult. What I found was that there is a little metered lot just on the north corner of the block that Comforts is located. Solved that worry. There is a take out deli in the room where the main entrance is, that was quite busy already at 10 a.m. We opted for the sit-down cafe, which took over an adjacent bagel shop about a year ago. The decor was modern and breezy, yet comfortable. We were greeted quickly, and our tea order came out promptly. I knew good things were in store when I saw how they paid attention to the tea service and serve Mighty Leaf Organic Earl Grey.



Paul ordered the Farmer's Breakfast which consisted of warm, fluffy griddle cakes, two eggs, pineapple and cantelope and two strips of very thick crispy bacon. Paul commented that even the syrup was nice and toasty. He gave his breakfast two thumbs up.



I ventured out for one of their seasonal specials, Eggs Venezia. Poached eggs over warm polenta with goat cheese and pancetta, with a dallop of basil setting it off. Yum! I polished off every warm, tender grain. I've never had polenta for breakfast before, and this was a total delight. If Comforts were in the city, I'm sure it would have a line around the block for a seat as Mama's on Washington Square does - it's in that league. It's worth a trip from the city to try, but I hope it doesn't get TOO busy as I'd like to enjoy this one many times over.

No comments: