Monday, October 02, 2006


Another Dishy Dill Dish or Rather Superb Soup. Yes indeed I had gathered fresh dill, fresh lamb and other aromatic ingredients to make Lamb and Herb Soup for Weekend Herb Blogging as organized by Kalyn. However, my weekend got rather filled and I couldn't quite put aside the hours of prepping and fragrant slow simmering to get this done in time for last week. But happily enough, I can be in time for this weekend's round up. Ruth of Once Upon a Feast is hosting this weekend's event.

I made the soup today, and Dad & I enjoyed a generous bowl with Japanese thick sliced bread for dinner, with plenty left over for the freezer. It stands up well to freezing and reheating.

Here's the scoop on how to make it.

Lamb and Herb Soup

1 onions peeled and thinly sliced
1 pound lamb stew meat cut into slices/cubes
1/3 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon turmeric
12 cups water
1/2 cup dried chick peas
1/2 cup lentils
1 cup barley
1 cup chopped fresh dill
1 cup Sabzi Aash Dehydrated Vegetables
1/4 cup rice
1 cup yogurt to stir in table side


1) Brown the onion and lamb 1/3 cup of the olive oil in a large pot. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and turmeric. Pour in the water and add the chick peas, barley and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 60 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

2) Add fresh dill, Sabzi Aash Dehydrated Vegetables, and rice. cover and cook 60 minutes

3) Check to see that the meat is tender and the beans are done. Adjust seasoning and add more warm water if soup is too thick.

Serve in bowls with yogurt on side for individuals to stir in to taste.

For best results, cook it a day in advance so that the flavors meld.

4 comments:

Ruth Daniels said...

Anna, what a delicious sounding soup. I can't wait to try it myself.

Kalyn Denny said...

I think this sounds wonderful. Tell me more about the dehydrated vegetables. What could I use if I can't find that brand? What types of vegetables are included? I do have some dehydrated veggies that are called something like "soup mix", can't remember the brand. Do you think that would work?

Anna Haight said...

The dehydrated vegetables are all green herbs, and that makes the difference in the taste of the dish. The ingredients are, in order appearing on the can: spinach, cilantro, parsley, leek.

Of course, these herbs would taste even better fresh, but you have to chop a lot since it takes a volume of the fresh herbs to be equivalent.

Sadaf's Sabzi Aash is available a Persian/Middle Eastern markets. I also found a place to order it on the web at: http://www.kalamala.com/product_info.php?products_id=455&language=en&cPath=71

There is also a different recipe on the can which takes 16 cups of water and the whole can.. never tried it but looks like it would be good for a crowd.

sher said...

I'm on a soup kick and this one sounds delicious! A cup of dill--fabulous. I love dill.