Friday, January 16, 2009

$1.98 Organic Fresh Blueberries at United!

Naturipe Organic Blueberries

When I saw the United Markets ad in the Marin IJ for 6 oz of fresh organic blueberries for the same sale price as conventional, I couldn't believe it. $1.98 in January?! That's 33 cents per ounce. At that price these can't possibly be air freight. These are likely shipped via water up the coast from Chile, which is one of the most efficient means of transportation. So although not 'local', these would be pretty eco-wise from a transportation sense. I found that Safeway has a sale on FROZEN organic wild blueberries (different variety) for 37 cents an ounce, so this is really an unbelievable deal. The blueberries in the container I picked up were sweet, flavorful and there wasn't a spoiled one in the bunch. The blueberries were also a larger size than typical. The ad was silent as to the brand, but I was thrilled to see it was a major reputable brand, Naturipe Farms. That company has a very informative website. I borrow some of their notes on the health benefits of blueberries:

"Blueberries have often been recognized as the fruit with the highest antioxidant activity. These tasty super foods offer twice as many disease fighting antioxidants as spinach, more than three times as many as oranges, red grapes and cherries and more than four times as many as grapefruit, white grapes, bananas and apples. Blueberries are also thought to be helpful in improving memory function and healthy aging."

The berries freeze really easily too, you can rinse them, air dry and freeze them in the same container. I like using frozen blueberries to replace ice cubes in my filtered, alkaline water for a total health boost. Now I really have to clean a space out in my garage for a freezer!

By the way, United has these on sale through January 17th!

PS I found their price of 98 cents a liter for Tejava quite amazing too.

No comments: