Friday, November 21, 2008

Tucked away near Richmond

Tokyo

I happened to be in the Hilltop Mall area in San Pablo around lunch time the other day, and found Tokyo hidden in a strip mall. On its menu it states "Fine Japanese Cuisine, Sushi & Seafood". I was immediately struck by the friendly atmosphere which included Japanese touches like Japanese music in the background.

Cucumber Salad

A jazzed up cucumber salad was served first with the lunch set I ordered.

Miso Soup

This was followed immediately with a nicely flavored and hot miso soup.

Kabucha Age

The kabocha age (fried squash) was coated with panko and freshly crisp and delicious. Tonkatsu sauce was served for dipping on the side.

Zaru Soba with Maguro

My main course was zaru soba with maguro (cold green tea soba noodles with fresh tuna slices). It's hard to find this dish out of the summer season, and it's one of my favorites. You put as much of the green onions and wasabi (mustard) in the dipping sauce and enjoy dipping the noodles in it to taste. The noodles had the perfect bite, and it was generously portioned. I also liked that although the staff couldn't have known that I speak Japanese, that they greeted me in traditional Japanese and said the customary polite things in Japanese as my visit progressed. It was another nice point for the atmosphere. It is a casual, family style restaurant and I would not hestiate to visit again if in the area.

3 comments:

cookiecrumb said...

Oh, tell me. Did you speak back to them in Japanese?
xx

meathenge said...

Dang, who knew? You find all kinds of cool stuff.

Biggles

ps - Even I'd like veggies if they were deep fried.

Anna Haight said...

Yes, Cookiecrumb I did. They looked a little startled!

Biggles -- I want to be to veggies what you are to meat! Deep frying certainly is one way to bring out the flavor!