Monday, February 23, 2009

Still bright and busy

Half Day Cafe

The Half Day Cafe in Kentfield is one of the consistently cheeriest and light filled breakfast places in Marin. And given that their food has been consistently good over time, it seems to never cease to have a crowd waiting for a seat!

Scrambled Eggs & Fruit

Dad and I revisited one fine morning, and Dad wanted some specific things for breakfast, without being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of food. Well, the amount was still quite a bit, but he enjoyed having his choice, part of which were the scrambled eggs with fresh fruit and some toast (the toast just came with the meal, or he wouldn't have had it, considering what else he had with this breakfast.)

One Pancake

And he had a side order of one pancake with this. The orange butter impressed him so much he asked why I didn't buy this brand of butter... I took a little taste too and had to agree it was a sweet fruit finish to the smoothness.

Tofu Scramble

I on the other hand ordered the Tofu Scramble out of the 'egg' section. I was thus surprised when it didn't include eggs, however, it was delicious just as it was with fresh tomatoes, crisp-fresh corn and lightly sauteed spinach mixed in with the firm tofu. The home fries were good too, soft yet with some brownness on the outside of most of the pieces.

Biscuit

You can upscale to a fresh bakery item for a small amount so I went for the freshly baked biscuit. After tasting a smidgen of my Dad's orange butter I was sorry that I hadn't taken the server's advice about having it instead of plain. Next time I'll know better! We had a delightful breakfast with prompt and friendly service, and despite the crowd we were able to get a seat relatively quickly.

Restaurant Inspection Results
Critical: 1
Noncritical: 0
Last inspected: 1/2/2009

Previously reviewed:
December 12, 2006

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this place! It's a good place to bring visitors for weekend brunch. I used to stop by to pick up a scone (with a dab of the orange butter) - so good with a cup of coffee.

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so excited to find this information! If you don't mind, can you give me some advice? I live in Oregon, and I'm looking for a breakfast place in Marin that opens by 8 a.m. It needs to be nice enough for a business breakfast for 15-20 people, and an extra bonus would be a separate room or corner that's good for a group. Thanks for indulging my question, you seem to know a lot about the eats in the area!