Friday, October 26, 2007

Kitchen

With reservations. My friend Linda and I met at Kitchen in Novato, a newish upscale place that has a lot of buzz right now. We had reservations at 6:30 on Saturday, and we were greeted and seated quite promptly with a friendly flourish. The service was excellent, there at the right times, but not hovering, and our waitress was quite pleasant.

Field Green Salad

Linda started with the Field Green Salad, with Seckle Pears, Point Reyes Blue Cheese, Candied Walnuts, and a Red Wine Vinaigrette. It looked quite good and was in generous portion. Linda concurred that it tasted good as well.

Cinnamon Spiced Ginger Carrot Soup

I was daring and tried the Cinnamon Spiced Ginger Carrot Soup. The flavor was good, but it was definitely begging for some salt, and there wasn't a salt shaker in sight. Sigh. It was also served a bit on the cool side. Sam's post at Becks & Posh about Salt & Pepper on the table is apropos here.

Braised Beef Short Ribs

Linda and I both chose the same entrees, the Braised Beef Short Ribs, with Parsnip Mashed Potatoes, Baby Squash, Gremolata, and Star Anise Jus. The beef was excellent, very tender and flavorful, but the overabundance of salt really distracted from the otherwise stellar taste. Linda asked me the million dollar question, would I come back? Well, with a one in four batting average, yes as I am hopeful and this was the first visit, but not soon as it is a spendy place so my expectations are higher.

No comments: