Sunday, December 07, 2008

December harvest

December lettuce

Yes, I grew a new batch of lettuce, and it's ready to eat! I think that the lettuce prefers the cooler temperatures actually.

Scallop cakes over salad

So I picked and washed some for this quick lunch yesterday. Thai scallop cakes atop home grown lettuce. Believe it or not, the tomato plant is still slowly ripening tomatoes! So the whole one in the center is from my tomato plant, the cut ones are from the store. And the side-by-side comparison favors the sweet bites of my deck garden. I think I'm really turning sensitive.. I bonded so much with my tomato plant, talking to it every day as I watered that I can't seem to pull it up from the pot. It makes me shudder to think of hurting the plant! And I was intending to plant some broccoli in the pot, we'll see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're attached to it, don't pull it up! Tomatoes can be a perennial in milder weather, which is pretty much all of California. Even NorCal!

cookiecrumb said...

Oh, you've got it bad. And that's good.
(Yes, the lettuce prefers this season! Beautiful.)

CoastalCAGardener said...

orangehennesey is right. If you're really attached, I would say take some cuttings. Put them in water and bring them inside to a sunny window. They'll sprout roots in a few weeks. Then you can pot them up in gallon cans. They might struggle, but you only need to make it until April. Then refresh all the soil in the old pot, take the strongest cutting and plant it deep. Voila, another year of bounty from the same plant.