Monday, April 06, 2009

Broccoli Flower Pizza - don't try this at home

Broccoli Flower Pizza

Being happy on a sunny Sunday, and puttering about the house, I had an idea for making some lunch at home using ingredients on hand. Now how else to use those broccoli flowers, I mused. I had used them in a salad previously. I spied a nice bag of whole wheat pizza dough from Trader Joe's in the refrigerator, and an idea was born.

In the oven

Soon I was popping the broccoli flower pizza in the oven.

Done

And about 10 minutes later, I was taking it out. Well, I rather suspected that the flowers would melt into the cheese.

Where are the broccoli flowers?

But what I didn't expect was that the stems would be so WOODY. A pizza that provides it's own toothpicks! Ah, well so goes being creative sometimes. Luckily, I included some tempeh 'bacon' so taking the toothpicks off yielded a tasty pizza anyway.

3 comments:

Zoomie said...

Sounds like something that would happen to me - but the pizza looks great even with the toothpicks!

cookiecrumb said...

Ha ha ha! Oh, too bad. I feel for you.
But it's fun to watch your learning curve.
Soldier on!

Anna Haight said...

Hi Zoomie & Cookiecrumb: As fellow adventurers I'm sure you could relate, and yes, I'm soldiering on!