Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Good for you, good for the earth

Universal Cafe

Last time I was near San Francisco's Mission district, I stopped by the Universal Cafe for brunch. It was very busy, and seems to have a lot of fans. The staff was friendly even while the place was slammed. The restaurant emphasized local and organic, so I felt right at home. I also noted that the silverware was actually silver, a nice touch.

Asparagus and Ricotta Omelet

I enjoyed soft scrambled eggs with new-crop local asparagus and ricotta, toast and mixed greens. It was perfectly prepared, soft yet cooked and the salad was very fresh tasting as well. It would be remiss not to mention that the bread was uncommonly good too. The menu stated that "most of our products come from environmentally sustainable farms and ranches" which is also attractive to a lot of locals. I would definitely recommend this place if you are prepared for a bit of noise due to the popularity.

2 comments:

cookiecrumb said...

Them's some beautiful eggs!
I've never been there. Looks divine.

Zoomie said...

This is my all-time favorite restaurant in San Francisco; we've been going for years, have never been disappointed and apparently their fame has spread because we usually can't get in any more.