Thursday, August 20, 2009

Delicious Irish

Johnny Foley's

I've been in some very un-tasty Irish places. And some stellar ones, such as Johnny Foley's in San Francisco. I went to meet a couple friends for dinner there, not intending to blog the visit, but the food was so compelling, I just had to document it!

Fish & Chips

The light was a bit low, but you can still get a good sense of the food that we tried. I had the Fish and Chips. This was Fresh Cod in Lager Batter with Coleslaw, Garden Peas, and Malt Vinegar Aioli. The peas were 'smashed' and it was an interesting texture. Overall, it was great and the portion such that I couldn't finish it.

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Larry had the Traditional Style Corned Beef & Cabbage. It came with Mashed & Boiled Potatoes, Buttered Carrots, and Parsley Cream Sauce. The ultimate compliment, Larry said that it compared favorably to his mother's.

Vegetarian Irish Stew

Sachiko was fascinated by the Vegetarian Irish Stew. The waiter highly recommended it, and it was stellar. Sachiko gave me a bit to try. The mix of Portabello Mushrooms, Spinach, Asparagus, Barley, Mint, Mashed Potatoes, and Savory Vegetable Broth was heavenly. The service was prompt and friendly and we enjoyed our meal immensely.

2 comments:

Zoomie said...

Can't wait to try this one - good, solid Irish peasant fare but obviously with a careful hand and a twist toward presentation. My Irish side applauds.

Anne from Mill Valley said...

Thanks for the recommendation. My husband is on a life quest for good fish and chips, so we went there for lunch today. He said they were really good. I had the boxty potato pancake with smoked salmon on top - very yummy. Really nice people too. I can't believe I've lived in the Bay Area since 1963 and never heard of it. We will definitely be going back!