Saturday, September 10, 2005

Dosai-dosai-do. Jo-Ann and I met for lunch at our favorite Tabla Cafe in Larkspur. We each had French Lentil Soup, and split our dosai in two to share, Roasted Turkey and Wild Salmon. It's such a charming, inventive and reasonable place with locally grown organic ingredients used only.

After lunch we noticed that the neighboring hardware store was very unique and had an awesome buyer who made the housewares section a joy to browse.

After lunch I went to Santa Rosa to meet Patty & Jaison, first time to visit their home and had quite the discussion of emerging world trends with Jaison.

Noticing I was not so far from Dad, I called him up and treated him to dinner at Shogun in Santa Rosa since he requested Japanese food. It's billed as the best "Japanese" restaurant in Santa Rosa. Although the restaurant funishings were very nicely Japanese, the minute I walked in the door I had the feel of "Korean". I shook my shoulders, thinking I was feeling strange, as it was obviously billed as a JAPANESE restaurant. The place was well kept, the portions generous and dishes tasty, but when my yaki-udon came with characteristic Korean side dishes (a kind of 'shredded' garlic and sesame spinach, and bean top heavy garlicy salted mung sprouts) I knew my original hit was correct. I did hear some Japanese spoken from the waitstaff, but the chef definately put a Korean spin on it. Putting a different cultures spin on what is billed as one type of fare is disappointing. I probably won't go out of my way to visit again.

No comments: