Monday, February 26, 2007

Caffe Centro

South Park Bustle.
I'm lucky to be working with someone who supports my love of snapping photos and describing food places. On the way south of the city for a business meeting, we stopped in one of the more charming neighborhoods south of Market in San Fransisco, a circle called "South Park", where there were plenty of charming eateries to choose from. The hard part was the parking. We felt Caffe Centro was the place for a quick and interesting bite, and weren't disappointed.

Caffe Centro Counter

After surveying the menus written in chalk, you order at the counter, waiting in line with what appeared to be a gaggle of happy tech workers also stopping in for lunch.

Pasta Portofino Salad

I enjoyed a Pasta Portofino Salad, consisting of bow tie pasta, pesto, pinenuts, grilled chicken, on a bed of mixed greens. The greens were vibrantly fresh, and the mix of other ingredients was perfect, including the amount of pesto dressing. My lunch companion Michael, enjoyed a hearty looking bowl of soup and a half egg salad sandwich (quite big enough for lunch on its own!) who reported that it was good too. He noted that the carrots in the soup were distinct enough that the soup must have been freshly made in the last hour or so. Fast and friendly service at the counter as well. I'd definitely return for a casual lunch, or even breakfast.

2 comments:

Greg said...

I stumbled accross South Park a while back. It really is a hidden jewel.

my hyggelig said...

I used to work in SOMA and I agree, South Park is a real jem. I got my haircut there, loved the food at the Mexican place next door, had many a good meal at South Park Cafe, and enjoyed lunches at Caffe Centro.

I am living vicariously through your eating! I miss it so...