Saturday, July 16, 2005

Hibiscus. I fell in love again with the deep ruby red color and fresh taste of Imperial Tea Court's Iced Red Hibiscus tea. I opened the bag of fresh loose-leaf tea this morning to attempt to make it myself for the first time. Looked beautiful brewing in my clear glass teapot, and I found it has some health benefits as well! I've enjoyed Ten-Ren's bagged version before, but the loose-leaf version is definitely better.

From BBC News: "An extract from the hibiscus flower could have the same heart health benefits as red wine and tea, researchers suggest. A team from the Chung Shan Medical University in Taiwan says the flower contains antioxidants that help control cholesterol levels.

Hibiscus sabdariffa L , which is grown in China, India and Taiwan is used as a traditional remedy to treat high blood pressure and liver disorders. The researchers found it contains antioxidants that are known to reduce the dangerous build up of fats inside the arteries."

S&B Golden Curry. Today I stayed in and watched Dad who seemed to be feeling the effects of last week's treatment. He felt well enough to get up in the late afternoon and wanted to do something, and certainly I was ready by then too! We went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, what a darling movie.

After the movie I was inspired to make some mild Japanese curry, using the old standard S&B Golden Curry sauce kit. I used sirloin tips, carrots, Dutch yellow potatoes, and panoche sweet onions for the contents.

No comments: