Friday, June 04, 2010

Fresh in the Financial District

George's

I had a lovely opportunity to have lunch with a former colleague, Lloyd, in San Francisco recently. He had thoughtfully surveyed the area and found a place he thought I hadn't tried, Georges. What a delight! As we met another colleague in the hall before walking to Georges, he approved and told us not to miss the grilled halibut sandwich.

Grilled Asparagus

We ordered a couple appetizers, first the grilled asparagus. It was dressed in a Dijon vinaigrette and topped with shaved Parmesan. I was impressed with the intense asparagus flavor and true sense of it coming directly from a grill. It was a great starter.

Sauteed Calamari

Next up was the sauteed calamari which I didn't try, and Lloyd said was good.

Grilled Halibut Sandwich

Lloyd went for the recommended halibut sandwich. It was just as billed. I had a hard time resisting having the same, but I was really attracted by a different sandwich. It was accompanied by some handsome fries.

Dungeness Crab Roll

I had the Dungeness crab roll (I've become very partial to these on anyone's menu these days). The crab roll has dandelion greens and roasted peppers on a brioche roll with a little dish or fresh tomatoes and onions and house made potato chips. I was impressed by how well the roasted red peppers and dandelion greens set off the fresh crab. I would definitely order this again.

No comments: